Watch: Open edX XBlocks Webinar featuring Ned Batchelder of edX
Ned Batchelder, senior edX architect, joined Appsembler CEO Nate Aune for a live webinar exploring the building block of Open edx: the XBlock. They discussed everything from what they are to what kinds are available and how to create them.
The webinar involved a general walkthrough by Nate, followed by a slightly more technical walkthrough from Ned, and ended with a Q&A session.
Nate and Ned’s slides are available for you to check out here:
Watch the full 29 minute video below, or scroll down to jump to specific parts of the video.
Table of Contents
- Survey of XBlocks for Extending Open edX – 1:27
- Open edX XBlock Technical Details – 9:49
- Are all of the publicly available XBlocks free or are some of them being charged for? – 17:26
- Do XBlocks work in all successive releases? If you created one for Cypress, does it work in Dogwood and will they work forever? – 19:13
- Is an XBlock basically like a plugin for WordPress? – 22:40
- So right now, XBlocks are only used within the actual courseware? – 23:59
- What are asides? – 24:34
- What are the issues around the security of Xblocks? Who vets them? What about integration with authentications and so forth? – 26:27
- Are XBlocks responsive? How do they relate to the mobile apps? – 27:52